Sunday, June 12, 2011

Break Up Songs

Breakups are inevitable. Recently, one of my best friends has been going through an EXTREMELY difficult one. This friend was there for me during the hardest time of my life last winter, and so I have been trying to be there for her 100% as she's been going through this. This breakup is not only bad, but the timing is absolutely awful. If this happened during the school year, I could be there for her 24/7, but now we are 45 minutes apart :( My stomach has been in knots thinking about what she must be feeling and I want to be able to make everything better, but no matter what I say or do, things like this will only take TIME. The coping process of a breakup is not easy, but when any sucky event happens in life, music can help heal. I have decided to make a list of a few songs I want this friend to listen to and to help her through this process. (And by the way, I LOVE YOU!!)
  1. First of all, Shania Twain has a new single! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! It's been 6 years, but one of my all-time favorites is back in the game! It's an incredibly motivating song, especially knowing that Shania has her own personal connection with it and has been able to rise up from her husband cheating on her. She was able to over come it, though! So, listen to "Today Is Your Day"  by Shania Twain :)
  2. Martina McBride is the champion at singing songs to empower women. On that note, both of these songs are perfect for any breakup situation, or even if you just need a confidence boost. "This One's for the Girls" shows that you're not alone in feeling the way you're feeling. And "Wrong Baby Wrong" is the song I would sing to you because it's about a friend helping her friend see that she doesn't need him and you that she WILL be alright. "If you think you'll never move on, you're wrong baby wrong!"
  3. Sara Evans is also a great country artist with empowering songs. This one in particular is about slowly getting over him and realizing that each day, you get a "A Little Bit Stronger."
  4. I apologize for all the country songs I am choosing for you, but I think you will like "Best Days of Your Life" by Kellie Pickler. The music video is hilarious! Another song by Kellie that is one of my personal favorites is "Don't You Know You're Beautiful." Because, you ARE beautiful and always will be :)
  5. "Madeline" by Matthew McGinn. This is a beautiful song about a girl that just doesn't have any luck when it comes to love, but she is being told that love will eventually come her way. "Don't let that darkness go and cloud your eyes. Leave this all behind. Love will find you if you just give it time."
  6. The chorus of "Stronger Woman" by Jewel says it all: "I'm going to love myself more than anyone else. Believe in me even if someone can't see a stronger woman in me..."
  7. Another way to handle a breakup is to have fun for a day or a night, because then you don't even have time to think about him. You just gotta "Love Today!!" (song by Mika) And girl, we will get together for a girls night soon!!
  8. "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw. 'Nuff said.
  9. This song choice is not based off the lyrics. Here are my directions for you when listening to "Lady Marmalade" (the Christina Aguileria, Lil' Kim, May, and Pink version). 1) Turn this song up LOUD. 2) Put on some booty shorts so you have freedom to dance around the room. 3) Grab a hairbrush or water bottle to act as your microphone. 4) Make sure no one is watching. 5) Sing your heart out and let out your frustration and your worries! Just get lost in the song.
  10. Lastly, "Never Say Never" by the good ol' Biebs. Yes, this one is a joke and meant to make you laugh! But the message is actually a good one! :)
I know there are thousands, probably millions of songs about breaking up out there, but these are the ones I picked specifically for my friend and because I think they are the BEST!! If you have any other favorite breakup songs, please let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment