Monday, June 6, 2011

“Best Summer Mix Eva” according to Kenzie

Yesterday I wrote about MY summer playlist. Well, today I saw one of my best friends of about 9 years (holy moly that seems like such a long time!) and though it was a short visit, it was lovely. We go to colleges that are over 4 hours apart, so I’m always so happy to see her! As we were driving in her car, I noticed the awesome music that was playing on her mixed cd called the “best summer mix eva..” Because she is an amazing friend, she let me borrow it! I have never heard most of these songs before, but I really like them! There’s not even a single country song on it. I will definitely be adding some of these songs to my own summer playlist.

Here are the songs on Kenzie’s “best summer mix eva” (the ones with stars are my favorites)
1. Talons – Napolean Dynamite soundtrack (Nice intro!)
2. Surfin’ USA – The Beach Boys
3. Giving Up the Gun – Vampire Weekend
4. Heartbreak Warfare – John Mayer**
5. Let’s Go – Cartel*
6. Lazy Song – Bruno Mars
7. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa – Vampire Weekend
8. Lucky – Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat
9. Roll Away Your Stone – Mumford and Sons*
10. Holly (Would You Turn Me On?) – All Time Low
11. Damn You Look Good and I'm Drunk (Scandalous) [feat. V.I.P.] – Cobra Starship*
12. Say Hey (I Love You) – Michael Franti & Spearhead
13. Campus – Vampire Weekend*
14. Haven’t Met You Yet – Michael Bublé
15. Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin
16. Lemonade – Chris Rice*
17. Runaway Baby – Bruno Mars*
18. One of Those Days – Joy Williams
19. Spaceman – The Killers
20. The World Has Its Shine [But I would Drop It On a Dime] – Cobra Starship
21. Faster Ride – Cartel**
22. You Don’t Know Me – Ben Folds & Regina Spektor**
23. Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) – Shakira

What a great playlist! It’s got good music to rock out to, it’s got happy songs, & it has mellow songs as well. The subject matter of some of these songs are also quite applicable to my life (I'll leave you guessing as to which ones!). My favorite songs though are the ones by Cartel and “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars. I’ve never heard this song until today & it caught my attention right away. LOVE IT. The “Scandalous” song by Cobra Starship makes me giggle.

A random side-story: While I was visiting with Kenzie, I had an interesting conversation with her brother. He is becoming a pretty good drummer as a 7th grader. We talked about he & his future band can “make it big” and I laid out an entire plan for him. Since I began getting into music, I feel like I have a much better understanding of how the music business works. Kenzie said she was surprised I’m not majoring in music business and this made me think a little bit…I would love a job in music!! Promotion, managing, talent-scouting, or especially writing about musical artists would be a dream job.

Hey Rolling Stone magazine or Country Weekly, if any editors are reading this, I’m going to need a job in 2 years. Keep a spot open for me, okay? Or if you have an internship position open right now, that'd be great. Sincerely, Valerie.

1 comment:

  1. Let's work in the music business together! :)

    ps I swear I am writing you a letter!

    ReplyDelete